Get acquainted with your prints this winter, as printed attire has made a major comeback this season. While most prints are flooding the fashion industry, there are a handful of prominent prints you should try this winter to make a statement. Why let the cold weather stop you from making a statement? Be bold. Be fun. And, most importantly experiment with prints this season.
Some of the most popular prints to experiment with this season include:
- Stripes – Stripes and pinstripes are a great way to make a statement this winter. Stripes first originated in the 1800s, and was usually associated with prison outfits in the 1800s. According to UMd.studio, the striped clothing was something worn by outcasts, such as prostitutes, inmates, and crippled individuals, and those who wore stripes were demeaned by society. This ideology has progressed in the fashion industry, as stripes are now not worn by those considered outcasts, but by regular fashion-forward streetwalkers. This trend has been spotted on high-fashion runway shows and has become a prominent, and very popular pattern to be caught wearing.
While black-and-white striped pants are currently my jam, you can find stripes in just about any article of clothing, including pants, blouses, tops, etc. Darker colored striped pieces are currently more popular than bright-colored striped pieces, do not be afraid to experiment with your color palette. Similarly, striped clothing are being displayed and retailed in many different colors, giving a whole variety of color spectrums to choose from. Whether you choose horizontal striped attire or vertically striped attire, you will not be looked at as an outcast or demeaned by this print. It’s quite empowering, actually! The trend is quite flattering, especially in darker colors. It does not look like this trend will be leaving the runways or retailers very soon. Models, such as Kendall Jenner, Cara Delevigne and Gigi Hadid have been spotted working this trend out to the core. Jenner, in particular, seems to be a big fan of this trend, especially striped pants, so hop on board.
- Gingham – Gingham, a pattern similar to plaid, is a grungier, patterned print that makes a statement in the wake of the 90s spirit. Gingham is a vintage trend that surprisingly made a comeback this season. This trend was originally developed in India and Indonesia, but was most prominently worn during World War II. Retro and vintage trends are popular this year and gingham is a great way to channel that. Whether you find your gingham fix with a pair of pants, pantsuits, coats and dresses, this is a worldwide trend you cannot pass up. This trend appeared on runways in Milan, Paris, New York, and London, and even Elle Japan recommended this trend, stating that they were very excited about this up-and-coming trend. In fact, this last season of Project Runway, the winner won with a gingham t-shirt dress. Do not pass up this trend!
- Polka Dots – Polka dots are quite playful, especially for the winter season. While winter is categorized with darker and less playful trends, experimenting with polka dots this season is a great way to catch a person’s eye. While the polka dot trend is not one that caters to everyone’s taste, it is a great trend to play with this winter if you are feeling a little bold. The runways this season were flooding with polka dots, hinting that maybe we should give it a go as well. Smaller polka dots are great for those who are feeling a little hesistant about rocking some attire with large polka dots. Since patterns are in this winter, it is a great excuse to play with the already playful trend.
- Sequins/Sparkles – Sequins and sparkles are great for the holiday season, specifically during the New Years and Christmas times. Specifically, gold and silver sequined and/or sparkled clothing is a definite must this season. Similar to the other patterned trends, sequins and sparkles were all over the runway this season, as well. Sequins and sparkles are quite playful, but can channel a classy, chic vibe, if paired correctly. Once again, this is a great trend to rock especially during the holidays. Do not be afraid to experiment with this beyond the holiday season, as it is a fun and festive way to sparkle into this season.
- Galaxy – Enchanting and futuristic pieces are making comeback this season, as well. There were many bold galaxy printed pieces on runways this season, as high-fashion hopped on this trend very quickly, incorporating them into their collections. While galaxy prints can seem “way out of this world,” or something of a totally different universe, the print can actually come across as very chic, simplistic, and beautiful, especially when the right colors are utilized within the piece. Valentino’s pre-fall 2015 collection did a great job showing off how to carefully pull off this print, displaying a collection of pieces utilizing galaxy printed clothes. Who knew that stars and moons could end up looking so elegant? Clearly, the print speaks for itself, and while this trend may not cater to everyone, this is a great, fun trend for you to try this season, as it is definitely not a boring trend.
- Leopard/Jaguar – Talk about making a comeback, animal prints are currently make a splash in the fashion industry. Now, we have an excuse to whip out our favorite leopard or jaguar print attire for reasons other than for Halloween. These two animal prints are definitely two of the easiest to pull off this season, as the jaguar print is black-and-white and leopard print has been around for a while. Society, for a while, deemed animal print as trashy, but the fashion industry has found a way to incorporate this trend in a way that is presentable, yet fun.
There is definitely no shortage of boring prints to experiment with this season. This season is all about #gettingprinted, so hop aboard the printed train. This is a great time to practice pairing prints with one another, or simply just experimenting with these bold patterns that are currently taking over the fashion world.