Fourteen days ago, when a new year began dawning on us, I was unsure, uneasy, a little uncomfortable, and stressed. Fourteen days later, I am still a little unsure, a little uneasy, a little uncomfortable, and a little stressed.
However, since the year began, to say that nothing amazing or positive has not come my way would be incorrect, as every day, it seems like something has managed to make me laugh, smile, or even catch me off-guard.
While we can never plan out how our days, let along our years, will go by, I have been doing my best to make my days more meaningful, busy, and full of the things that make me happy.
Towards the end of 2017, I must admit I felt blinded by stressors and circumstances that I could not physically change – and, honestly, I found myself in a somewhat negative headspace. Sometimes, when tasks become overwhelming and life may seem a little more difficult, I find myself stuck, unable to think beyond the walls of my stressors.
While I still continuing to work on realizing that there are things in our lives that we can change to make things better, I continue to remind myself daily that I am doing okay, I have so much to look forward to, and that I have so many wonderful people around me that continue to help me and support me – NO MATTER WHAT.
Over the course of the last 14 days, I have accomplished some of my goals (ALREADY), did some pretty cool things, and have experienced many lovely surprises that have caught me off-guard that I would love to share with you!
- To begin the year properly, I made a “2018 Intentions Board,” carefully listing my hopes, dreams, aspirations, and areas in which I woud like to improve. While these are fairly vague, in some aspects, I broke down the board into categories of different aspects and facets of life that are relevant to me. From there, I made goals and resolutions, within the categories, which helps me keep my thoughts, goals, and aspirations more organized. This way of organization helps me vizualize areas in which I would like to improve, and breaks every category into subcategories that more carefully detail exactly how I would like to help myself achieve these new years resolutions. Breaking down your goals and New Year’s Resolutions into “smaller” goals assists me in following through with these plans and goals, as they provide a footmap and steps that I need to take in order to stick by these intentions.
I am positive, as the year progresses, certain aspects of my 2018 intentions board will change. But, an intention board allows one to give each year a purpose and gives one somewhat of a plan for this upcoming year. Feel free to take a look at my 2018 Intentions Board for a more in-depth analysis of my intentions for this year.
One resolution I specifically set out this year to accomplish was to find another job that made me happier, as I found that I was not happy with my previous job. After tireless months of complaining and finding every excuse in the books not to apply for another job, I knew that I could no longer put this goal aside. The work environment I was apart of did not treat me correctly, was very toxic, and began taking a negative toll on my mental health. I am now happy to say that I have found another job; one that makes me happy, and with a company that appreciates my services. I am very happy with my new job!
2. Another great opportunity came my way earlier this year, when Warby Parker, an eyeglass company, approached me, after coming across my blog! The best part? Someone on their brand management team reached out to me, after accidentally coming across my blog, and was impressed with the content on here of my blog. Honestly, the fact that someone went out of their way to look over my blog, read my articles, and assess my blog, without me mentioning it, is already an accomplishment for me. Beyond that, it was greatly humbling that they mentioned the fact that they truly would like to work with me, seeing as they enjoyed my blog – THIS WAS ONCE AGAIN HUMBLING.
After coming across my blog, the Warby Parker asked me to help them promote and announce their new Spring 2018 collection. This was quite an honor for me and such a great opportunity! When I started my blog a year ago, I would never in a million years thought that someone, or any company, would approach me to help me promote their brand. While Warby Parker is the first and ONLY company, thus far, to ask me to do something of this manner. As the year continues, I would love to partner up with more companies, bloggers, etc., in the new future, through my blog, as this is something I am very passionate about!
3. Other fun things that I have taken apart in this year, includes spending time with my family and cousins, who I am all very close with. Family is very important and I love spending time with them, as they help keep me grounded, focused, and happy. My cousins, who are all around my age, mean the world to me. Beyond that, they gave me a sense of calm and happiness just simply by being around them. I love them all so much!
AND, I have been spending too much time (if that is possible), with my dog, Kiki, who is basically family!
4. I also made a few trips down to Denver, Colorado, where I did some exploring and found some incredible murals that are pictured below.
4. In addition, I went on my first hike of the year with my brother! We hiked up the infamous Flatirons and got a great workout in!
And, we also took a stroll down Pearl Street Mall, visiting the beautifully lit Boulder court house and took a detour into Lush.
5. I found some time to engage in some relaxation time, as well! Or, celebrating, whichever you would like to call it!
6. As if life could not get any better, my parents also surprised me with a new book called “A Book That Takes Its Time,”which is a book about mindfulness. It is not just a regular book, but contains journals, stickers, posters, activities, etc., which I am excited to dive into! While I could not take a picture of every activity, page, etc., I provided a preview below of the content within the book, and tried to showcase the nature of it! I am so excited to dive into it! For those who are interested in purchasing the book, click here! The book is avaible on Amazon for $14.98 and is worth every penny – I would 10/10 recommend.
7. The conversations I’ve had with my friends, THUS FAR, in 2018, have been nothing short of amazing. While many of my friends are away, live in different states, etc. I have been reconnecting and staying in touch with those around me. I have had some of the funniest conversations, as well as some heartwarming ones. It is always nice to stay in touch with friends and giggle with eachother – even from miles away. I LOVE THEM AND MISS THEM A LOT.
8. Lastly, I came across a surprise in my email about a day ago and it was completely unexpected. While I was working my other food-service job, I came across a gentleman (who I unfortunately do not remember), but nonetheless, we must have engaged in conversation when he came into to order his food. “WOW” are the only words that come to mind when I came across this, as there are not many males my age even willing to do something like this, or even speak so kindly towards me. This email, whether I am interested in pursuing him or not, resonated with me, as not many people go out of their way to do this and be so kind. I really do even know how to phrase this – but, let’s just say, this is a pretty incredible gentleman. Needless to say, I am flattered, humbled, and just “WOW.” This email has been one of the kindest surprises that has come my way and I am truly blown away.
To say that 2018 has not been treating me well would be a lie, while I still find myself in somewhat of an exsitential life crisis, I have found that there have been many exciting, amazing, surprising opportunities that I have encountered and memories that I have already made. It is crazy to think that this year just started.
Even though 2017 was only fifteen days ago, so much has already begun changing and evolving. Whether or not it is because it is a new year, it is because of good karma, or if it is because I have taken the power to make positive changes in my life, 2018 has thrown me some wonderful, wonderful surprises and I have found myself in a much happier, calm space. Not that my life is much different than it was in 2017, but 2018 has truly handed me some free diamonds and surprises – none of which I ever expected!
I would love to hear how everyone else’s 2017 is going, what you have been doing, the good things that have come your way in 2018, and if you have an intention board to share!
I hope 2018 has been treating you nice, as well 😊
Stay connected here:
|Instagram | |Tumblr |